Friday, April 1, 2011

W.I.N. "What's Important NOW!?"


Many of you know that I am a Youth Director at my church. That is my full time job, as well as being a Dad and Husband to my children and wife.
            Some of you may be saying, “You get paid for doing that?” YEP!
            I love my job. I get to tell people about my best friend, while doing a lot of things they and I love to do. I often get to travel. I get to meet lots of people from all over and learn about how they live.
            But one of the toughest aspects of my “job”, is I also get to see a lot of people that are hurting, or a lot of people that because they are hurting want to or are actually hurting others.
            You hear people on the news or in all kinds of social settings say, “This generation has lost all touch with reality, morality and responsibility.” We often talk down about the youth in our country. As one of my parents said it is easier to complain about things, than it is to listen to the problem and try to correct it.
            So whose fault is it that the youth of America has gone so astray? The parents, the youth, the teachers, the preachers, who do you want to blame? The fact is nobody wants to be responsible for that big of a problem. But the other fact is very few people want to take time to be part of that solution either.
            As a Christian American man, I’m against teaching only evolution in our schools. I’m against not allowing people to pray before football games or class. I’m against $4 gasoline too. But have I done anything at all to correct any of those problems? Nope!
            America has moved beyond the Nation of democracy, to beyond the nation of special interests group, to a nation that lets the squeakiest wheel get the oil. We don’t seem to govern by common sense or by any standard other than have we appeased the afflicted. Whatever happen to reconciliation? When I was growing up I was always taught to make things right, to say I’m sorry if I had done wrong, or to go to someone directly if I had been offended and gently seek reconciliation. Now don’t think I always did as I was told but at least I knew that was what was expected. I knew there was a right and a wrong. And I knew at some point I’d be accountable, to my parents or to God.
            What is important now? Lou Holtz,  former Notre Dame and University of South Carolina football coach and now ESPN analyst, used that question often in coaching his teams, and speaking to other teams and organizations around the country. What is important now? I guess that depends on who you are?
            For me there really are only two view points to look at this question from? I know that from the world’s point of view that is very elitist, arrogant, narrow minded, small town of me, however that is how I see it. Those two view points are, a Christian world and life view, and a non-Christian world and life view.
            Ultimately, if you are a Christian the things that are important to you should be the same things that are important to all Christians. For everyone that is not a Christian, there should be a vast array of things that are important. But did you notice the word should in those last two sentences? For some reason Christians have a hard time coming together and agreeing on the truths of the Bible.  And for some reason non-Christians are able to unite almost over night on issues that supposedly quiet the use of the name Jesus in this world.
            What is important now?  Don’t get me wrong there are many Christians who are following Joshua 1:8, “Do not let this Book of Law depart from your mouth meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful.” There are many Christians standing up for the, “Truth”, Jesus Christ. There are many people who are loving God with all there heart and all their mind and all their soul, and loving their neighbor like themselves, there are many sinners that are able to do this because they realize that they are saved by grace. They realize that what is important now is to see if they can live by faith, hope and love. Faith in Jesus to be our Savior and Lord, hope that Jesus is the only hope we have of entering Heaven and being saved from our sins, and living in this fallen world, and love that our response for the later two would be one of love for God and fellow man. 1st Corinthians 10:31, “So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.”
            What’s important now? Is the war in Iraq? Taxes? Education? Gas prices? Social Security? Abortion? Horse riding lessons? Golf? TV? Computer chat room?  I think God has gifted us all to specifically impact our families, our friends, our communities, our world by giving Him the glory in everything he has gifted us to do.
            Whatever God has gifted you with, whatever God has laid on your heart, whatever God has given you a passion for, “DO IT!” for His glory. Then others who don’t know Him will see Him through your faith, your hope and your love.
            Live for Christ! That is what is important NOW!

No comments: