Friday, April 1, 2011

SPRING TIME SICKNESS


Home Sick

            I always remember being home sick in the Spring. Mainly, I think, because I was allergic to everything outside of the house and a lot of the things in the house.
            Allergies were my friend, I was allergic to all kinds of pollen, trees, bushes, dust, you name it I was most likely to have that allergy.
            Allergy shots were a weekly deal. Finally, when I was about 16 or 17 and the doctor said well, we can start giving him two shots per week, one full one in one arm and another partial one in the other, I said, “No more shots mom.”  I was tired of shots and allergies. Since then I can name a few times I’ve been sick. Crazy stuff!
            While we have been nursing sick children back to health this Spring I’ve been re-living missing those days of school. I remember some days were fun and some days I wish I could’ve been at school.
            My kids are the same way. It seems like the days you keep them home you should’ve sent them on to school. Then the days that you kept them home, well, you get my drift.
            So, whether you noticed it or not, or whether your nose discovered it for you, we had an enormous oak bloom this year. Our new tree house was 3 inches deep in oak pollen. Being the good dad I am, as soon as J.T. and Katherine had recovered from a weeks worth of coughing and runny nose and itchy eyes, I sent them in the backyard to play.
            Only one problem, our back yard consists of one tree, a giant oak tree.  And next thing you know JT was at the top of the tree house three quarters of the way to the top of the tree. With each step into a crevice of the oak he kicked up tons of oak pollen. Pretty soon,  within 5 minutes he had effectively blinded himself.
            J.T. is allergic to oak pollen and I basically gave him permission to go take a bath in the stuff. As my good friend Pam Gilliard would say, “Bless his heart.”
            So I ran out and rescued him out of the tree as his eyes were swelling shut. He was crying out that he couldn’t see as we were trying to shove medicine done his throat and then throwing him into the tub and putting drops in his eyes. All in about 2 minutes flat.
            J.T. recovered just fine and went to school the next day put was told not to play under the big oak tree at school.
Katherine on the other hand could be dead and you would never know it. Her motor never stops, especially when she is really sick. Only when her fever is over 103 does she even want to stop and watch television. That’s usually the signal that she might not be feeling good. Earlier this year she watched two whole movies, everyone, “Bless her heart.”
            So the Kelly family didn’t get perfect attendance during the 3rd quarter. Actually we had a family skip day to celebrate everyone feeling well enough to get off the couch at the same time.  Keep that on the down low, if you don’t mind.
            Here is to healthy kids and families may you and yours enjoy your health today.

No comments: