Friday, April 1, 2011

What are you Thankful for?


Well, the season of Thanksgiving is upon us.  And usually people ask you to list all the things you are thankful for during this time of year. And to be honest I love doing that, making a list of all the people and things that I am truly thankful for having.
            But, most of you know I’m not usual nor am I normally normal. So I have a different question to pose today. What would be on your list of things you are not thankful for? Now, whoa! Stop! Don’t think of anything else. Hold those thoughts.
            I know if your like me you already have a top 10 list ready to rattle off for me. But stop and think just a minute or two or ten and really ask yourself, “Are there things in my life that I’m really not thankful for?”
            Now before you get all crazy with me, you have to hear me out or read on. I know there are a lot of people who have a lot of terrible, awful, unimaginable situations they deal with every day. There are people who truly are long suffering, here on this earth. Certainly they should have a list right? We might even expect them to have a  long list,; well, maybe that’s just what you and I think?
            There are families everywhere losing jobs. Good hard working people that can’t find work. There are people who have babies born with incurable diseases and they die. There are families who live every day taking care of children that can’t take care of themselves. There are people with no limbs that do things you and would never dream of doing. There are people who are paralyzed that we think maybe should have lists.
            Sometimes tragedy changes your perspective. Sometimes the reality that we are merely a flash in the pan, that our bodies are just flesh and bone is enough to make us thankful. When we come to understand that in the big picture, it really isn’t about us, it is about Him. When we understand suffering for His sake is a privilege of being a child of the Father. Then we can’t help but be thankful.
            Sure it is okay to be real. Sure it is okay to tell God exactly how you feel. Jacob even wrestled with God, and came away with a limp. But he knew God intimately loved him. God wants us to know Him more and more. He wants us to see that His love is deep and wild and mysterious and glorious and wonderful. His love is unending, it is steadfast and secure.
            So go ahead and make your list, write down all the things you are unthankful for. All the things that maybe only you and God know about, those things that hide right there, close enough to give you angst but far enough away not to really deal with the heart of the issue. Write those things down. Go ahead nobody else is looking.  Now some of these things are little, but for you they are big. So go through each one with God and tell Him about each one. Now comes the hard part, try and be thankful for each one of these things. Maybe you can’t right now, that’s okay. Maybe you won’t ever be able to, just remember Philipians 4. A lot of like to quote v. 13. Tim Tebow even writes it on his eye black. But read the whole chapter. Verse 6 says, “do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.” And then verse 11 and 12 says, “Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need.” Then 13 affirms God’s ultimate provision, “I can do all things through him who strengthens me.”
            Do you know the secret Paul is talking about? Let’s let the secret out of the box. Repent of your unbelief and sin and Trust in Jesus.
            So have you taken a few minutes and gone done your list? Maybe you have re-thought a few things? Maybe some things seem a little less miserable? Maybe your madder than ever, maybe you feel like your list is so overwhelming nothing can or will help.
Jesus is there for you, He will help.  Put all of your hope in Him, He will surely make you thankful.

No comments: