Friday, April 1, 2011

JUST TELL THE TRUTH, WOULD YA?


Why can’t we just be honest?
            Have you ever lied to someone? Have you ever hurt someone you loved by trying to protect them with a lie?
            Why do we feel like we have to lie? Oh I know some of you are saying, “I don’t lie!” And if you did say that then, yes you do lie, you just classify it under another name.
            First for those of you that think you don’t lie. Think about this for a minute. Have you ever told a friend, “Oh I can’t go because I’m busy, I have something that day.” When in fact you would rather just sit home and do nothing, or go out with another friend, or you don’t have anything planned but you want to keep it open unless something better comes along.
            Satisfied yet? Or how about when you people ask, “How are you?” And in the politeness of time and humbleness you lie and say, “Fine,” or  “okay.” When in reality you may have had a crummy beginning to the day you don’t want anyone to know about.
            Still not sure you are a liar? Maybe you have children, or maybe you are a child or a teenager or young adult, maybe you are a senior or somewhere in between, it really doesn’t matter your age because we all do it. In all our relationships there comes a point where we are faced with telling the truth or lying. So often we choose to lie. I think there are several reasons we lie. One is that we think it really isn’t a lie and that the other person will never find out anyway. The second reason is we are covering up another reason we don’t want anyone to know about. And the third reason is at the time it’s easier, so we convince ourselves, to lie.
            Well maybe your right, you don’t lie. Well, I’d be lying if I said I believe that at all. So what’s the big deal then, if we are all liars and we all hide things from our friends, brothers, sisters, moms, dads, wives, husbands?
            Your relationships will eventually suffer, sometimes depending on the immensity and intention of the lie it will sever and die. We need to be honest with each other, even about our lying. We need to confess that yes we didn’t tell the whole truth and this is why. It will cause strain and stress, but knowing you can go to your friend, family member or spouse in honesty will help you not to lie as frequently and as often.
            My daughter has had a couple of horse instructors leave her barn recently. One practically vanished, no returned phone calls, no emails nothing. The second left town abruptly without giving a full explanation of what was going on in her life. The barn owner asked me the question, “Why can’t we just tell the truth?”
I think sometimes we are afraid of the truth because we see how embarrassing, how uncomfortable, how silly, or how destructive and corrupt our lies are and we must keep them covered up at all cost. For those that don’t know God they just think oh well the people I’ve hurt will get over it and so will I, the people who do have a relationship with Jesus think, Man, I wish I wouldn’t have done that, that wasn’t right and then fight the battle of running or returning to Him.
God knows everything we think, even before we think it. However he wants us to realize our sin and confess it. His grace will cleanse you. Receive his forgiveness today. Repent of all your sins, even the little lies that you tell and let God give you a new heart. If He already has let Him continue to take away those old desires and encourage you to speak the truth.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That is the most difficult commandment to follow for me. I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings and I want everyone to like me. So, I lie. I hate it because it makes me a hypocrite. I don't want to be one of those. Thanks for posting your thoughts; it is a good thing to think about and wrestle with. When I learn to please God more than pleasing others, maybe I will be a little more honest. When people are dishonest with me, I don't have much patience for that either. Friends that lie -- or just say nothing, but they turn their backs -- is the hardest.