Friday, April 1, 2011

Scott Humston, BBQ expert, friend, master magician


Scott Humston, Master Magician and friend will be performing at the Hardee County Library on June 10, 2008. Some of you may remember him from his perfomance just a couple of years ago at Zolfo Springs Elementary School. If not let me encourage you to make plans to take the family to Scott’s show.
            Scott has performed all over the United States, he even was invited and performed at the White House Easter Egg hunt one year. Scott has been to large churches, medium churches and small churches like mine. Scott has performed at big events, big schools and small events and small schools, but one thing is for sure about Scott, his show is always amazing.
            Scott and I go way back, my first ministerial “duty” was to make a hospital visit, where I got to see Scott and his wife Debbie just after they became parents to a beautiful baby girl. Scott is a former member of New Hope Presbyterian Church. That is the church I serve at in Eustis. Scott also grew up in the Winter Haven area, so we trade small town stories and love to grab lunch together when he is in town. Usually we pick an out of the way BBQ joint that most people might not enter.
            Scott will be doing his day show at the Library but I would encourage all the churches in the area, to at least send someone to check Scott out. He has a new ministry called the Wonder-Full Weekend. This is truly a show every church needs to find out more about. Our Church is having Scott perform daily at our Art/Sports Camp and on Thursday night he is doing a family night show. We are also interested in booking him next year for a Wonder-Full Weekend event.
            Scott uses magic to reach people’s hearts and shares the Gospel to change people’s souls. Scott’s ability to make you laugh, think, feel, burst out loud, gasp, stand still and wonder, is truly God-given. True Scott has been working for many years, since his teenage years at the “old” Cypress Gardens. Scott has a passion for what he does and it shows. If you want to make your child’s year, take them to the Library on June 10th.  To find out more about Scott Humston you can find him on the web at www.scotthumston.com .  If you are interested in booking a show for your school or church you can also check out, www.schoolshow.com .
            Several years ago before kids and when I could afford to go out on a date, I took my wife to the Chalet Suzzane restaurant in Lake Wales, Florida. As we were waiting to order we noticed a magician was walking around the room stopping at various tables to do a trick. As I was lost in my wife’s beauty and intelligent conversation I didn’t notice at first who this magician was until he got to our table and said, “ What are you two doing here?” It was Scott. He has in the past worked many Valentine’s Days and New Year’s Eve at the Chalet Suzzane, maybe you have seen him there. Well, I have seen Scott’s school show before and it is awesome but he did a trick that night that I’ll never be able to figure out or forget. He had a deck of cards, had us sign the card, did a lot of other stuff, then said look in your wallet, I took my wallet out and in it was the card I had signed, BAFFLED, I asked if he could make my check from the Chalet Suzanne disappear too.
            So, if you are needing a laugh, or you just need something for your child to do on June 10th get over to the Library and check Scott Humston out. If you don’t laugh, have a good time, or smile incessantly then your probably at the wrong library. Scott has a great heart for the Lord and I hope you get the opportunity to go to the Library and see his show on June 10th. If you want to make him laugh show up with a side of good local BBQ and tell him David Kelly sent ya.

No comments: