Friday, April 1, 2011

I love Fishing!


            It is near the middle of May and I haven’t been fishing near enough this Spring. Summer is only one month away on the calendar but temperature wise we have already had a few 90 degree days.
                        The one kind of fishing I really want to get back into is what most people call speck fishing, others call it crappie fishing.
                        I remember as a teenager going to Lake Okeechobee and catching specks. Whether we used minnows or grass shrimp we usually caught fish and bunches of them.
                        I also remember going to Lake Josephine in Lake Placid and Lake Reedy in Frostproof and catching specks. There is a great story about me and two buddies from high school that checked out of school early, wink, wink and went fishing over at Lake Reedy. I leave my buddies names out for their protection. We got caught in a tremendous early afternoon thunderstorm on the other side of the lake with massive waves coming over the front of my Dad’s boat. We also struggled mightily to get the 9.9 horsepower motor cranked.
                        After a few near misses from lighting and a few five gallon buckets of water bailing out the water we determined the gas line had come unattached. After re-attaching the line we cranked up the motor and headed home. Some time later we made it to the boat ramp and loaded the boat faster than I have ever loaded a boat before or since.
                        We decided to stop in a restaurant in Frostproof and get some coffee. We thought that would help us relax. Well, after dropping a few cups and pitchers of coffee and annoying the waitress we decided we might want to leave.
                        The other reason we had to leave was we had to rush back for GRAD-NITE, a high school senior event where all the seniors go to Disney World for the night. Let’s just say we made it.
                        Okay back to wishing I was fishing. I’m not sure which I like the most about fishing, catching fish or making memories with friends that will last a life time. I guess when both happen it is just nirvana.
                        Here is to hoping I can figure out how to get out and enjoy fishing sometime soon. Whether it is catching specks, bass, bream, catfish I’m really not to choosy I just like the thrill of the hunt.
                        I hope you have a great last few weeks of Spring and get to get out on the water, or down the river, or creek or to the pond and catch a few fish for me.
                        Then this summer we can pull out all our hard work out of the deep freeze, conjure up a little salt, flour, corn meal, some other secret seasonings and a little oil and fish fryer and have us a big fish fry. Don’t forget the grits, the cheese, the bread-n-butter pickles and of course the WOMP biscuits with butter and orange blossom honey, and a few ice cold cokes to wash it all down.
                        You don’t know what WOMP biscuits are? They are those canned biscuits you WOMP on the counter to open. You take them raw and deep fry them on each side for about 20 seconds and drop them into a pan of butter, roll it around then drop it in another pan of cinnamon or brown sugar or powdered sugar, then eat them till you are sick.
                        Now I remember why I like fishing so much. Give me a call and let’s go.

No comments: